Do I Need A Tanker Endorsement?

Saberlines Insurance Services
Since  March 2015 all states are on board and even if you’re driving a dry van in these circumstances endorsements are necessary.

New Tanker Endorsement Regulations: Are You Driving Illegally?

Do I Need A Tanker Endorsement?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has rolled out a new regulation meant to keep the roads safe from commercial drivers carrying large amounts of liquid or gaseous freight without the proper training. In order to do this, the FMCSA changed the definition of a “tanker,” which, in turn, has changed the requirements for which drivers are required to hold a “tanker endorsement” on their CDL.  This change means that even those who are driving dry vans, reefers, flatbeds, and box trucks will be required to hold the endorsement if they meet the requirements below. If the following conditions occur, you are responsible for obtaining a tanker endorsement on your CDL:

  1. Your cargo includes liquid or gaseous individual containers larger than 119 gallon capacity.
  2. The containers are loaded, and not empty.
  3. The total combined volume in those containers exceeds 1,000 gallons.

What Are The Consequences Of Not Abiding By The Law?

If commercial drivers are found to be driving without the proper tanker endorsement (if their load meets the regulation requirements) they can be charged a civil penalty of up to $5,000 per instance, as well as possible license suspension for up to 90 days, according to the FMCSA Section 383.53. In other words, this regulation should not be taken lightly. If you don’t follow the law, your job could be on the line.

Visit our front page to get Truck and Commercial Auto Quotes right away

Leave a Comment